Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Timehop

Disclaimer: This post was drafted days ago, but I'm just now getting around to posting it.

Days like this I'm especially thankful for silly apps like Timehop. Two years ago I shared this picture on Instagram. Just yesterday I was asking for the Lord's help in a certain area and again today in a different area, and this Scripture and devotional fit in both areas. God is good.

"Therefore also now, saith the Lord, turn ye even to me with all your heart, and with fasting, and with weeping, and with mourning: 
And rend your heart, not your garments, and turn unto the Lord your God: for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repenteth him of the evil."
Joel 2:12-13

First, let me just point out what beautiful language is used here! Secondly, notice the word "turn" is used twice in these verses. This is a teaching tool. Think about it. When you're trying to teach your child how to do something, you use repetition. In my case, I feel like I'm always trying to teach my son to NOT do something and I'm repeating "no" over and over again. (Terrible 2's are real, people.) My Christian life has been full of moments of turning. Turning from sin and to the Savior. Turning from the wrong path to the path of righteousness.  Turning from trying to do things in my own strength to the Lord for His Almighty strength.

"Rend your heart, and not your garments," is such a beautiful phrase, but it is so much more than that. Rending, or tearing of your clothing back in those days was a sign of mourning or grief. The author is saying that the outward sign of grief means nothing, if your heart is not also torn, or grieved, over your sin. Until our hearts are grieved by our sin, we will not strive to make it right and seek repentance. The wonderful news is that we serve a wonderful Savior Who "is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repenteth him of the evil." He will always show mercy and forgiveness and welcome us back to His fold, when we turn away from Him. 

"And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied , and praise the name of the Lord your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed." 
Joel 2:26

When we do turn back to God, He will fight our battles for us, and provide for us in a way we never could've done for ourselves.

"And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be delivered:"
Joel 2:32

The following is an excerpt from Streams in the Dessert by: Mrs. Charles E. Cowman, but was written by C. H. Spurgeon.

"Why do not I call on His name? 
Why do I run to this neighbor and that when God is so near and will hear my faintest call?
Why do I sit down and devise schemes and invent plans?
Why not at once roll myself and my burden upon the Lord?
...
My case is urgent, and I do not see how I am to be delivered; but this is no business of mine. He who makes the promise will find ways and means of keeping it. It is mine to obey His commands; it is not mine to direct His counsels. I am this servant, not His solicitor. I call upon Him, and He will deliver."

No comments:

Post a Comment