Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Friends


Thou wilt surely wear away, both thou, and this people that is with thee: for this thing is too heavy for thee; thou art not able to perform it thyself alone.
Exodus 18:18 

All the children of Israel were coming to Moses with their problems for him to tell them what the Lord would have them do. Jethro, Moses' father-in-law knew that wasn't the way it was designed to be and called Moses out on it. He knew that one man couldn't handle the burdens of all the people and told Moses to appoint good, God-fearing men in charge of the people to help share the burden.

Ever been overwhelmed by a burden? Ever feel like so many burdens have been brought to you by your husband, children, family, friends, and even yourself? Growing up, and still today, Mom always had all the answers. I didn't always want to hear them, but I knew I could seek her out for help when I was in over my head. Today, I'm Mom. Both my kids are under 3 and they need me constantly. My husband works weird hours, so I have to fill a lot of roles myself and that means I'm burdened down with many tasks pretty consistently.

Cast thy burden upon the Lord , and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved.
Psalms 55:22 

The Lord is my help. I'll admit I don't always turn to Him first for help. I (stupidly) try to do things my way first to see if I can do it alone. I fail over and over again. (By the way, aren't you glad we serve a forgiving God that loves us anyway? I know I am!) The Lord never designed for us to go the Christian life alone. From the very beginning God's design was for us to have someone to help us where we are (Genesis 2:18).

Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
Ephesians 4:29

Let's, as moms and as women, be a help and support to each other. Let's not tear each other down, or gossip about one another for a different parenting or lifestyle choice. Let's gather alongside one another and lift each other up: in prayer, in Scripture, in encouraging words, in laughter, whatever your soul needs.

I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.
3 John 1:4 

The devil is out seeking whom he may devour (1 Peter 5:8). The battle for our hearts, and the hearts of our children is real. Adulthood is hard, but eventually, we all have to grow up. Wife-hood is hard, but it has wonderful (and handsome) perks. Motherhood is hard, but it truly reaps some of the best harvests, when we invest time in prayer, in the Scriptures, and for me, in a good cup (or cups) of coffee.

Share the burden.

Care for one another.

Pass the coffee.

*Mug pictured available here.

No comments:

Post a Comment