Thursday, August 24, 2017

Time. Out.


"...My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him: For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth."
Hebrews 12:5b-6

Today Jackson got a time out, actually many time outs, but I wanted to discuss one in particular. Jackson kept asking for a muffin over and over again. I kept telling him he could have it once I finished washing the dishes. He proceeded to keep asking for said muffin, which, I must add, was the LAST muffin, and it was supposed to be mine (#momlife), but anyway, we're getting sidetracked. After telling him to wait for the katrillionth (any Mom with toddlers knows this is a real number) time, he proceeded to pitch a fit: screaming, crying, stomping his feet, etc. After a moment of discipline,  I sent him to his room for a time out. 

  "If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sonsfor what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? 
But if ye be without chastisement, 
whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons."
Hebrews 12:7-8

When his time out was completed, he returned to the room. I always make him tell me what he did wrong and apologize for that wrong, so that he understands his actions have consequences. Well, when he came out to apologize, he said he got sent to time out for "asking for the muffin" to which I quickly explained was not the case. I explained to him that asking for the muffin wasn't wrong, but that it was the way he acted when I told him to wait. (Anyone see where I'm going with this yet?) As I was explaining this to Jackson, the Holy Spirit pricked my heart. You see, I also have been asking the Lord to meet a need, and whereas I wasn't pitching an outward fit, I'd had plenty of pity parties over not getting the answer I wanted. 

"Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?  For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; 
but he for our profit, 
that we might be partakers of his holiness."
Hebrews 12:9-10

You see, sometimes the answer isn't just "yes" or "no". Sometimes the answer is to "wait". This isn't to torture us, or to pick on us,  although I'll admit, that's exactly how I felt. My heart's attitude was wrong. The Lord isn't necessarily saying no yet, but He IS saying to wait. Even if the answer is no, He is STILL working and it will be profitable for me to wait. 

  "Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: 
nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby."
Hebrews 12:11

Waiting isn't fun. Chastening isn't fun, but just as I continue to chasten my children, so that they may prayerfully turn into good, Christian young men and women,  I have to be willing to let the Lord do the same to my heart. Hang in there, Momma.

P.S. He DID get to eat that muffin. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment