Thursday, March 16, 2017

Lessons from a Nerf Gun

This morning Jackson was playing with a Nerf gun and couldn't quite figure it out. I showed him one time how to make it work, and he took the gun away in a hurry to try it out for himself. Well, he still didn't quite get it. I told him that if he brought it to me, I would show him how to do it again, but he refused. He struggled and struggled trying to get the gun to shoot, and almost had it a couple of times, but he just could not get it to work. Finally, he was distressed enough that he brought it over to me with tears starting to form in his eyes, asking for help. He knew he couldn't do it by himself, so he came to someone he knew would help him.

But I am poor and needy; yet the Lord thinketh upon me: thou art my help and my deliverer; make no tarrying, O my God.
Psalms 40:17

As this situation played out before me this morning, I couldn't help but see that the Lord was trying to teach me. Isn't it amazing how the Lord uses our kids to teach us lessons sometimes?

How often do we go to the Lord for help and then think,  "I got this" and take back off on our own? Sometimes I'm so prideful and stubborn that I would rather keep struggling on my own than admit, "I don't got this." (Man, that hurt to type.)

Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.
Proverbs 16:18

Now, back to Jack. He may have eventually figured out how to shoot his gun,  but it wouldn't have been without tears, frustration, and (since I'm being honest) a fit, finished with a spanking and banishment from guns for the rest of the day. We can always choose to continue to do things on our own, but is it really worth it?

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 
  Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.  
 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
Matthew 11:28‭-‬30

Thinking we can walk the Christian walk alone is prideful. We are nothing special on our own, but our value is found in Christ. God sees us and loves us. He is a Good Father and He wants us to turn to Him for help. 

No comments:

Post a Comment